Eltham Palace


Eltham Palace
Greenwich, London

SE9 5QE





About Eltham Palace
Eltham Palace is one of the few important medieval royal palaces in England to survive with substantial remains intact. Initially a moated manor house with vast parkland, it was acquired by the future Edward II in 1305 who subsequently passed it on to his queen, Isabella. Under Edward IV significant changes were made, most notably the addition of the Great Hall in the 1470s which is still visible today. Henry VIII was the last monarch to spend substantial amounts of money or time at Eltham and in the 16th century the Palace was eclipsed by Greenwich Palace and declined rapidly.
In the mid 17th century, the owner, Sir John Shaw, built Eltham Lodge in the Great Park and lived there. For the next 200 years Eltham Palace was used as a farm and the buildings were tenanted. In the early 19th century a villa was built within the moat walls and gardens and kitchen gardens laid out in the west and south moats. A campaign to save the Great Hall from demolition resulted in its restoration in 1828 but it was still used as a barn.
Later in the 19th century Eltham Palace became a gentleman's residence, and glasshouses and gardens were laid out in the west moat. By the early 19th century the parkland had been reduced to two small areas of 21 hectares and 29 hectares, the rest had reverted to arable or pastureland. The larger park was cleared of its parkland trees between 1808 and 1828.


Website:
click to visit
 

Directions

Eltham Palace 
Off Court Rd SE9, Junction 3 on the M25, then A20 to Eltham.
Parking is sign-posted off Court Road; Disabled parking via Court Yard Entrance

Home
Historical Gardens
National Trust
English Heritage
Flower Shows
UK Film Locations
Garden Centres
Landscaping
Water Gardens
Local Weather Forecast
Add your site
Search