Harlow Carr
North Yorkshire
HG3 1QB

 
 
 
 
 

About Harlow Carr
Harlow Carr gardens stand on what was once part of the Forest of Knaresborough, an ancient royal hunting ground. Springs of sulphur water were discovered here in 1734 but development of the site as a spa did not take place for over a hundred years. In 1840, Henry Wright, the owner of the estate, cleaned out and protected one of the wells and four years later built a hotel and a bath house. People came to bathe in the warm waters for which they were charged 2s 6d (12.5 new pence). Gardens were laid out around the bath house and in 1861 the site at Harlow Carr Springs was described as a 'sweet secluded spot...the grounds neatly laid out, adorned with a selection of trees, shrubs, flowers, walks, easy seats and shady arbours'.


Website:
click to visit
 

Directions

Harlow Carr Garden is situated on Crag Lane, off Otley Road (B6162) about a mile and a half from the centre of Harrogate.

 

There is a 400 space car park which is free.

 



 
  
Home
Historical Gardens
National Trust
English Heritage
Flower Shows
UK Film Locations
Garden Centres
Landscaping
Water Gardens
Local Weather Forecast
Add your site
Search