Powis Castle - Wales


Powis Castle
Powys

SY21 8RF







About Powis Castle
The world-famous garden, overhung with enormous clipped yews, shelters tender plants and sumptuous herbaceous borders. Laid out under the influence of Italian and French styles, it retains its original lead statues, an orangery and an aviary on the terraces. In the 18th century an informal woodland wilderness was created on the opposite ridge.

High on a rock above the terraces, the castle, originally built c.1200, began life as a fortress of the Welsh Princes of Powys and commands magnificent views toward England.

A superb collection of treasures from India is displayed in the Clive Museum. Edward, the son of Robert Clive, the conqueror of India, married Lady Henrietta Herbert in 1784, uniting the Powis and Clive estates. The 19th-century State Coach and Livery, the finest in the ownership of the National Trust, is on display in the coach house.


Website:
click to visit
 

Directions

Powis Castle

1ml S of Welshpool; pedestrian access from High Street (A490); vehicle route signed from main road to Newtown (A483); enter by first drive gate on right




Home
Historical Gardens
National Trust
English Heritage
Flower Shows
UK Film Locations
Garden Centres
Landscaping
Water Gardens
Local Weather Forecast
Add your site
Search