Rosemoor
North Devon
EX38 8PH






About Rosemoor

In 1923 the parents of Lady Anne Berry (Lady Anne Palmer) bought the Rosemoor estate as a family fishing lodge to be used only through March to May. Originally part of the Rolle estate (a local Devon family), it was at that time owned by a Colonel Graham and rented by a Major Rustin. Both were fishermen and in those days the Torridge, which flows along one of the garden's boundaries, was a very good salmon river.

Following the death of her father in 1931 it became home to Lady Anne and her mother. At that time the garden was as Lady Anne describes it 'dull and labour-intensive, typically Victorian with a great use of annuals in beds round the house'.

In 1959 Lady Anne Berry (Lady Anne Palmer) caught measles from her children and, while recuperating in Spain, met the noted plantsman Collingwood Ingram. He invited her to visit his garden on her return to England and encouraged her to return to Rosemoor with a few of his plants to start a garden of her own.



Website:
click to visit
 

Directions

M5 Southbound Leave at Junction 27, take the A361 (North Devon Link road) and leave either at South Molton (please note this is not suitable for coaches) OR follow the main road to Barnstaple/Bideford, then the B3222 to Great Torrington. From there follow the brown tourist signs to the garden which is on the A3124 (Exeter/Winkleigh road).
Car parking is free.

 

 


 
 
Home
Historical Gardens
National Trust
English Heritage
Flower Shows
UK Film Locations
Garden Centres
Landscaping
Water Gardens
Local Weather Forecast
Add your site
Search